Numismatique de l'antiquité
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Monnaies de l'antiquité Romaines Grecques Gauloises et autres

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  GalerieGalerie  FAQFAQ  Dernières imagesDernières images  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  ConnexionConnexion  

Unpublished Portrait of Caligula? Joe Geranio

2 participants
AuteurMessage
Joe Geranio

Unpublished Portrait of Caligula?  Joe Geranio Empty
MessageSujet: Unpublished Portrait of Caligula? Joe Geranio   Unpublished Portrait of Caligula?  Joe Geranio Icon_minitimeMer 21 Mar - 7:01

For Photo go to:

http://journals.aol.com/geranioj/PortraitsofCaligulaTheSeatedFigu/entries/2006/10/31/unpublished-portrait-of-caligula-joe-geranio-/490

After all the photos I have seen of Caligula, I have never run across this portrait. The portrait to my knowledge has never been published. The portrait in profile has all the physiognomy and hairstyle of Gaius Caligula. I am sure there will be a publication identifying the portrait in the future. This portrait is
not in the work of Caligula's extant portraiture by D. Boschung, "Die Bildnisse des Caligula". This profile view clearly represents a possible rare glimpse of the young Princeps who ruled from 37-41 A.D. The portrait resides In the Museo Archeologico dei Campi Flegrei in Baia. I sent the photo of this portrait off to two Art Historians who have never seen this portrait, and according to some who have been to the museum, the photo was not tagged. The portrait is clearly Caligula.

Joe Geranio
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
fred
AVGVSTVS
AVGVSTVS
fred

MessageSujet: Re: Unpublished Portrait of Caligula? Joe Geranio   Unpublished Portrait of Caligula?  Joe Geranio Icon_minitimeMer 21 Mar - 15:18

Thanks Joe, Some coins have a very close portrait.

Unpublished Portrait of Caligula?  Joe Geranio H0-R0xdcHWu871YU4EThFp8Jgw-kjhrM01F4

Have you some interest about Gaïus ?

http://monnaies-romaines.net/
Joe Geranio

MessageSujet: Caligula Interest   Unpublished Portrait of Caligula?  Joe Geranio Icon_minitimeLun 26 Mar - 12:38

I have been studying the Coinage and sculpture of the Julio Clauadians for 20 years. My main interest is finding portraits in the round of Caligula that the scholars have not identified yet. It is a very subjective subject. Because of familial assimilation Julio Claudina iconography is very difficult.

Bonjour,

Joe Geranio
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
fred
AVGVSTVS
AVGVSTVS
fred

MessageSujet: Re: Unpublished Portrait of Caligula? Joe Geranio   Unpublished Portrait of Caligula?  Joe Geranio Icon_minitimeLun 26 Mar - 13:09

Thank you, I need your opinion, I've send you a private message. It could be very interesting for you too.

Click on "messagerie".

http://monnaies-romaines.net/

Unpublished Portrait of Caligula? Joe Geranio
Page 1 sur 1